bowing to the altar

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Rexlion, May 5, 2019.

?

Do you bow toward the altar?

1. not usually or never

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. yes, I bow toward the altar

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  3. yes, plus I bow every time I hear the name of Jesus

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Would you agree that directing your worship toward an image is idolatrous? If so, then let me toss a thought your way.

Transubstantiation doctrine says that the communion bread ceases to be bread in substance, and that only the "accidents" of bread remain.
    The "accidents" are the things we can detect or measure with our senses, including taste, smell, texture, optical image, chemical analysis, etc.
    Roman Catholics see the image of bread, and they render worship toward that image which they see before them.
    Therefore, Roman Catholics direct worship to images at every Mass, especially at the ones where the host is placed in a monstrance and walked around the building (or through the city streets, as they do in some locales).

At this point it might be helpful to review what God has told us on this subject:

Exo 20:4,5 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them..."
    Lev 26:1 "Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God."

The Israelites created a calf of gold, consecrated it in some fashion and declared it to be Almighty God, and worshiped it.
    The Roman Catholics create wafers of bread, consecrate them and declare them to be Almighty God, and worship them.
    Do you recognize the similarity?

In pointing this out, I'm not opposing the Real Presence. What troubles me is the idolatrous behavior which the doctrine of Transubstantiation has led the laity into.

Br. Thomas likes this.